All inclusive pricing includes standard shipping and tax in the continental U.S.
VALLEY OF THE MOON PINOT NOIR 2012
Located in the heart of Sonoma County, Valley of the Moon Winery has operated as a winery since the 1860s. George Whitman, the original pioneering vintner, planted the first grapes on this land and built the winery in 1863. His enterprise was successful and in just four short years he was annually producing 50,000 gallons of wine and 2,000 gallons of brandy. In 1881, Whitman granted a portion of his property to the Sonoma & Santa Rosa Railroad Company. A passenger train station was constructed and tracks from Sonoma to Glen Ellen were laid down. Whitman subsequently sold the winery in 1883 to Eli T. Sheppard, former consul to China and an advisor to the emperor of Japan. It was renamed Madrone Vineyards and in 1887 he began constructing the first of two stone wine cellars. Later in 1888, due to poor health, the estate passed to the hands of Senator George Hearst, father of William Randolph Hearst. Senator Hearst further developed Madrone Vineyards into a serious winemaking operation, proudly serving his wine to guests in Washington, D.C.